You should definitely seek a bankruptcy consultation before you do any of the following:
- Start prioritizing which bills can and can’t be paid
- Make a call to one of those debt consolidation services or sign up for some debt advice service
- Borrow money from family to pay your mortgage, car, and/or credit card bills.
- Agree to a repayment plan with your lender if you obtained a forbearance as allowed under the CARES Act.
- Start a payment plan with IRS and/or Franchise Tax Board or try an Offer in Compromise for taxes owed.
- Pay for a service to help improve your credit score.
- If you have student loan debt, consolidate your loans or sign up for the Income Contingent Repayment Plan or some other payment program.
- Refinance your home or borrow from your retirement or withdraw retirement funds to catch up on missed debt payments or pay off credit card debt.
- Struggle to make the minimum payments on your credit card debt